Search This Blog

Monday 19 June 2023

On This Day June 20

1837 Queen Victoria wrote wrote in her diary on June 20, 1837, "I was awoke at 6 o'clock by Mamma, who told me the Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Conyngham were here and wished to see me. I got out of bed and went into my sitting-room (only in my dressing gown) and alone, and saw them. Lord Conyngham then acquainted me that my poor Uncle, the King, was no more, and had expired at 12 minutes past 2 this morning, and consequently that I am Queen."

Victoria receives the news of her accession

1887 The Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria was celebrated on June 20 and 21, 1887. She began the first day with breakfast under the trees at Frogmore, the resting place of her husband, Prince Albert, near Windsor Castle, before a banquet at Buckingham Palace. On the second day, she led a procession and, in the evening, put on a gown embroidered with silver roses, thistles and shamrocks for a banquet and was then wheeled into the garden to watch the fireworks.

WANT MORE THINGS THAT HAPPENED ON JUNE 20? CHECK OUT MY ONTHATDAY BLOG. HERE'S A LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment