Belgian National Day is the national holiday of
Belgium commemorated annually on July 21. It marks the anniversary of the investiture of King Leopold I, the country's first monarch, in 1831.
 |
| Celebrations for National Day in Brussels in 1856 |
On January 20, 1831, the European powers agreed to fix the borders of the new country of Belgium, splitting it from Holland.
Born into the ruling family of the small German duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Leopold married Princess Charlotte of Wales, the only child of the future King George IV, thus situating himself as a possible future prince consort of Great Britain. Charlotte died in 1817, although Leopold continued to enjoy considerable status in England. He was inaugurated a Leopold I, the first King of
Belgium on July 21, 1831 due to his diplomatic connections with royal houses across Europe.
Since the installation of Leopold I, Belgium has been a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy.
No comments:
Post a Comment