Search This Blog

Saturday 12 September 2015

Jerusalem (hymn)

“Jerusalem” was originally a poem, And did those feet in ancient time written by William Blake. It was part of the preface to his long poem Milton, which was published between 1804 and 1808.

Blake's poem was inspired by the old legend that Jesus Christ, while still a young man, accompanied Joseph of Arimathea to Glastonbury in south western England. Blake, who had an idiosyncratic view of his Christian religion, believed in this legend. Ironically, considering its later success, Blake decided to discard the poem in later editions.

Sir Hubert Parry put Blake's poem to music in 1916 to beef up British morale during the bleakest days of World War 1.

“Jerusalem” is the official anthem of the British Women's Institute, and historically was used by the National Union of Suffrage Societies.

Many of the English population would like "Jerusalem" to replace "God Save The Queen" as the English national anthem.

The 1981 Oscar-winning movie Chariots of Fire got its title from a couplet in "Jerusalem", which is sung in the film. The couplet in question is: "Bring me my bow, of burning gold. Bring me my arrows of desire/Bring me my spear, O clouds unfold. Bring me my chariot of fire."

Originally written by myself for Songfacts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment