Search This Blog

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Today is September 28

Wenceslaus' feast day is celebrated on September 28.

Wenceslaus I (the "Good King Wenceslas" of the Christmas carol) became the duke of Bohemia in 921. Renowned for his piety, he founded many churches in Prague, including a rotunda consecrated to St. Vitus at Prague Castle, which exists as present-day St. Vitus Cathedral.

Duke Wenceslaus I of Bohemia was murdered on September 28, 935, when he was killed by nobles on his way to Mass at the church door. The people were outraged and regarded the martyred duke as a saint.

Murder of Duke Wenceslaus, Liber viaticus (14th century)

Wenceslaus was posthumously declared to be a king by Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor, and later came to be seen as the patron saint of the Czech Republic.

The September 28 Wenceslaus feast day has been a public holiday in the Czech Republic since 2000, celebrated as Czech Statehood Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment