Search This Blog

Sunday, 26 October 2014

Dodge

The Dodge Brothers Company was created by brothers Horace and John Dodge in 1900.

John (1864-1920) and Horace (1868-1920) Dodge began as bicycle manufacturers in Ontario, Canada, before moving to Detroit in 1901 to open a machine shop for the manufacture of automobile parts.

In 1914 the Dodge brothers expanded to make their own automobiles.

1915 Dodge Brothers Model 30-35 touring car. Wikipedia Commons

The Dodge Brothers vehicles won acclaim for durability while in service with the U.S. Army's Pancho Villa Expedition into Mexico.

Their innovations included the use of conveyor belts in manufacturing, and an all-steel body construction.

The Dodge Brothers sued Henry Ford in 1919 on the grounds that a company should act in the interests of its shareholders and not for the good of society, its customers or its employees

Dodge Brothers cars continued to rank second place in American sales in 1920, however both brothers died suddenly that year.

Dodge Brothers Inc was sold to Dillon, Read & Co. on April 30, 1925 for US$146 million plus $50 million for charity, before being sold to Chrysler in 1928.



There were 321 ‘General Lee’ orange Dodge Charger cars used during filming of the eighties TV show The Dukes Of Hazzard. Almost all were wrecked in the show’s stunts but one that survived was bought by American golfer Bubba Watson at an auction for US$110,000 (US$121,000 after buyer premium).

No comments:

Post a Comment