Search This Blog

Saturday, 24 January 2015


Fat is one of the three main types of nutrient – the others are carbohydrate, and protein.

Fats are needed to keep cell membranes functioning properly, to insulate body organs against shock, to keep body temperature stable, and to maintain healthy skin and hair.

The body does not manufacture certain fatty acids and the diet must supply these.

The terms "oil" and "fat" are sometimes confused. "Oil" normally refers to a fat with short or unsaturated fatty acid chains that is liquid at room temperature, while "fat" may specifically refer to fats that are solids at room temperature.

A fat, or triglyceride, molecule. 

The term slush fund was originally a nautical term: the slush was the fat or grease skimmed from the top of the cauldron when boiling salted meat. Ship officers would sell the fat to tallow makers, with the resulting proceeds kept as a slush fund for making small purchases for the ship's crew.

The average American eats an amount of fat equivalent to one whole stick of butter each day.

The average U.S. man has the same amount of fat as 170 sticks of butter.

It would take roughly 17,500 sit ups to burn one pound of fat.

During weight loss, 84% of the fat lost is exhaled in the form of carbon dioxide — the remaining 16% becomes water.

The human brain has the same percentage of fat as clotted cream.

The unique smell of Crayola Crayons can be attributed to beef fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment